Halifax Gentlemen's Poker Association

"We're as honest as gambling men can be."

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Common Poker Jargon (Part II)

Second of series of posts defining some poker jargon that regularly does, or should, show up at H.G.P.A. events. These are terms in addition to the basic glossary available on Neil's HGPA site. A related series of H.G.P.A.-coined jargon may follow.

throwing a party: A player who is playing like a fool and gambling all of their money away is said to be throwing a party.

I'm going to miss Eboc--that guy always threw a party later in the night.

Not like Cal.

Oh, yeah. His party goes to eleven.


stuck: Having lost money. I'm stuck $300 right now.

Bob ended the night up $50, and Drake broke even. I think Neil was stuck his rent.


speeding: To play very loose with no identifiable pattern, or to bluff frequently. Also known as speeding around.

Man, Neil was really speeding last night.

I know! I hate it when I can't tell if he's being crazy, or if he actually has the hand.


river rat: A player whose hand was dominated from the start, but improves his hand on the river to win the pot.

I had that straight from the flop, but then Bob went all river rat on me with a runner-runner flush draw.


post oak bluff: To bluff by making a small bet, when you want the other players to think that your small bet is a "here kitty kitty" bet from a strong hand. You want the other players to think you are trying to trap them, so they will fold.

Every now and then I change up my position play with a post oak bluff. Once the table is trained for position play, it can be especially effective.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

I love how my name is used for examples of losing all sorts of money and playing with no regard to sense or pattern. Whee!

Neil
xxx

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home